The Whitfeld Memorial
St Mildred's Church, Tenterden, Kent
This handsome Jacobean monument was erected to the memory of Herbert Whitfeld, who died on 6 February 1623, and Martha his wife who died on 26 January 1614. The Whitfelds lived in an old house on the site of the eighteenth-century Eastgate House which was sacrificed to commercial development a few years ago. In 1491 Robert Whitfled had removed from Cumberland to the iron works of Wadhurst in Sussex. His son, the father of Herbert Whitfeld, moved to Tenterden where he was Bailiff in 1555.
The monument, protected by attracted iron railings probably of later date, and displaying no less than eighteen coloured coats of arms, was raised by Herbert's son Robert above the gravestone of his mother, in accordance with the terms of his father's will.
Taken from the booklet "The Parish of St Mildred, Tenterden"