The Electric Palace also known as the Cinema Palace, and the Picture Palace, in Tenterden, now a row of shops called The Fairings (2017)
The Electric Palace, Oaks Road, Tenterden. Built in 1912 (opened 28 September 1912) and seated 350 (according to some 310 seats), one screen. In 1934 it was taken over by Shipman & King and closed in 1937 when the Embassy Cinema in Tenterden opened.
Reproduced from "Tenterden, A Pictorial History of a Market Town in the Weald of Kent" by R S Spelling [with kind permission of Mrs Spelling] "Built in October 1912 the Picture Theatre proved to be a great success and in its day was regarded as the finest and best equipped cinema in the south of England. It was fireproof, had no steps and, because it was lit by electricity throughout, was initially called the 'Electric Palace'. Programmes were changed on Mondays and Thursdays and it was open every evening (except Sundays) and Saturday afternoons. It became known affectionately as the 'Picture Palace' and seat prices were 5d, 9d and 1s3d with a special half price for children at matinees. Miss Marjorie Elliott and Mr Wally Cogger, a piano tuner, were two of the pianists who accompanied the silent stars of the screen and there was a side door where today's shops are, through which a member of staff would occasionally gain free entry for a youngster in the family. It closed however in February 1937 and shortly afterwards a brand new and up to date Embassy opened in the High Street. During World War II the Picture Palace was used as an Army Supply Depot and in the 1950s was nearly pulled down but finally was adapted for use as shops and offices and is now known as The Fairings"
Picture Theatre, 1913
February 1914: Electric Palace, Tenterden
Work on the new cinema in 1936