Volunteers Wanted! Please help; download/read the appeal here www.mytenterden.co.uk/upload/di/ot/4/dilisting-904-listingdoc1.pdf
TENTERDEN SOCIAL HUB is the new name for Tenterden and District Day Centre. The centre, which is a registered charity, was originally opened in 1980 when it was purely a day centre for the elderly. However, in the intervening 38 years, a number of other services and activities have been developed for all types and ages of people, which take place both within the building, and out-and-about in the local community.
The new name reflects this ‘home and community based’ ethos. There are a number of new identities for the different services on offer which include:
Sixty-Plus: A day centre and drop-in service for those aged 60 and over, which is open Monday to Friday. There is no need for any special referral, just call and arrange to come in for a taster session. Fully accessible transport can be provided if required. A freshly produced two-course lunch is available cooked in our own five star rated kitchen, using locally sourced ingredients.
Activities in Sixty Plus include yoga, chair-based exercise, seated bowls, arts and crafts, collage, reminiscence, bingo, board games and much more. Lunch and classes are available on a drop-in basis. Please contact us for a current timetable. For lunch, all that we ask is that you order by 10:30am.
Disability Hub: A day service for adults with a disability (both learning and physical disabilities are catered for). Transport and a hot two-course lunch are provided if required. A fun and friendly atmosphere with a range of activities both within the Hub and out and about in the local community. Try photography, cooking, arts and crafts, swimming and much more. Taster days available and the Kent Card is accepted. The Hub covers the Ashford area as well and Tenterden.
Home Help: Provides assistance with domestic tasks and independent living services throughout Tenterden. From laundry, cleaning and shopping to meal preparation and trips out socially and to appointments. Home Help operatives are all DBS checked and will usually visit the same clients regularly to allow you to get to know them.
Meal Club: A new meals on wheels service for Tenterden, which is rolling out across the district during 2018. A freshly cooked two-course hot lunch, direct from our five star rated kitchen, and delivered direct to your door by one of our friendly volunteers. Available Monday to Friday. Assistance with plating up meals is given if required. There is no obligation to purchase a meal every day. The menu is varied and special dietary needs are catered for.
Information Hub: Are you claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to? The information and advice service can work with you to check whether there are any additional benefits available, and the Information and Advice Officer can assist with the completion of applications. The service is available at the Hub on Wednesdays by appointment, or an Officer can visit you at home if you would struggle to get to the Hub. This is a free service which has already helped Tenterden residents claim many thousands of pounds in benefit entitlement and made their lives easier.
Transport: As well as bringing people to and from the Hub, the fleet of fully accessible minibuses are available to hire to local groups and societies at reasonable rates.
Tenterden Social Hub: As well as the individual services listed above, the Hub hosts a whole range of services and activities which are open to everyone, such as:
- Assisted bathing service - A fully equipped bathing suite with hoist. Ideal for those who can no longer use a standard bath, but who still wish to bathe independently. Also ideal for post-operative recovery periods.
- Chiropody and foot care - Janet and Darren are in attendance on most Mondays and Tuesdays of the month. They are fully trained to deal with diabetic patients and those taking warfarin.
- Hairdressing - Janet works in our salon from Wednesday to Friday. From a simple shampoo and set through to cuts and perms, we provide a reasonably priced and friendly service (and the salon is fully accessible too).
- Osteopathy - Maria is in attendance on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Hi Kent hearing aid clinic - The clinic is held every Wednesday between 10:00am and 11:00am. No appointments necessary, just drop in.
- Lip Reading classes - Provided by HI Kent, the classes are held on Friday afternoon (term time only).
- Cogs Club - Meets every Thursday from 10:00am to 3:00pm and is designed for those with early to mid-stage dementia. A social day with a range of brain stimulating activities and including a light lunch.
- Forget-Me-Not Club on Mondays and Thursdays. A dementia club with a two-course hot lunch provided.
- Charity shop - There is a shop within the Hub which is open to the public. Additionally, there is also a shop at East Cross. Donations are always needed.
- Meeting Room and Hub Hire - Accessed via St Mildred’s Close, the newly-refurbished Community Room and Sun Lounge are light and airy and feature a kitchenette, tilt-top tables and fantastic views across Tenterden. Refreshments can be provided and there is a projector for hire if required. The rooms are suitable for formal and informal meetings. The main Sixty Plus lounge and the fully equipped commercial kitchen are also available to hire evenings and weekends, as is the Disability Hub. Special rates apply for community groups and charities.
Volunteers are always welcome at the Hub. There are a variety of roles such as helping in our centres, fundraising and marketing, delivering meals, administration, assisting at Cogs Club, entertaining our clients, assisting in our shop and much more. Volunteers give from a couple of hours a fortnight to six hours daily. Please come and talk to us if you would be interested in volunteering. Some roles do require a DBS check.
If you would like to know more about any of the Hub’s services, why not pop in and have a look around? Most people are pleasantly surprised at how much we actually do. Alternatively you can telephone on 01580 762882 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
. More details are also on the website at www.tsh.org.uk
Tenterden & District Day Centre
Registered Charity No. 1122971