46 High Street, Tenterden
c. 1920 (plus/minus 5 years)
46 High Street, Tenterden - c.1921
46 High Street - Barclays Bank Limited. It was in 1929 that Barclays Bank became interested in extending their branch network into the Weald and proposed opening branches at Tenterden, Cranbrook and Hawkhurst. Negotiations were commenced with Mr Herriott (a bootmaker who traded next door in No.44) to purchase Nos. 46 & 48 and the deal was finally closed on 29 May 1930 for £1,400. No.46 was converted into a small bank office and Barclays Bank Tenterden opened on 2 February 1931 with its first manager Mr L T Austin and one clerk assistant. (copied from "Tenterden in Times Past" by RS Spelling). The old building was pulled down and replaced by a single storey construction which in turn was modernised in the mid-1970s adding a first floor extension. Barclays obtained further space in 1985 when they acquired the lease on the upper floor of the property next door, 50 High Street.
46 High Street, Tenterden - Barclays, 2018.