Monthly PCSO Update June 2019

Tenterden News
Monthly PCSO Update - June 2019
Community Safety Unit| Ashford Police Station | East Division
Kent Police
My monthly PCSO update so you are aware of what myself and PCSO Luke Jones have been up to in your villages, towns or around and about the areas this month.

It has been as always a busy month with a different variety of jobs to detail with, these have ranged from earlier in the month on the local Election Day, going around and villages and Towns that we cover and visiting all the polling stations, in order to check everything was all in order. It was a good opportunity for us to meet some of the local residents and have a chat and see if they had any concerns in their areas which we not be aware of, it was lovely to see residents we wouldn’t normally probably see.

Other issues that some of the areas are having issues with, especially now the longer, lighter evenings are upon us, is nuisance bikes. Whether these are electric scooters, quad, mini moto, hover boards, mopeds, or trial bikes, I just thought I would clarify some of the rules on these. Which can also be found on the Kent Police Website.

Can my child use their electric scooter/bike, quad, mini moto, hoover board or Segway on the road or pavement?

All the above are all examples of vehicles that may be considered in legal terms to be mother vehicles and are therefore subject to all the usual legal requirements that apply to cars or motorcycles e.g. tax, insurance, registration and driving license. They cannot therefore be used on a road unless they conform to the law and many such vehicles will never be ‘road legal’ as their design fails to meet UK or EC road vehicle standards. Furthermore, such vehicles cannot legally be used on the pavement either, in fact the only place they can be used is on private land with landowner’s permission. If the land is owned by the council it is unlikely they will have given permission for them to ride on their land either.
If such vehicles are used on the road/ pavements by young people, not only may the rider be committing a number of offences but their parents may also face prosecution for aiding and abetting or permitting the offence.

If you know the details of a youth that is driving any of these on the pavements or roads, then please contact us. The police have a new Meereen of powers to deal with the use of such vehicles, these include the seizure of the vehicle under section 165A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (power to seize vehicles driven without a licence or insurance) or section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 (seizure of vehicles used in the manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance).

There are always youths on motor bikes/ mopeds and in cars screeching up and down the road, it is very dangerous, what can the police do?
It is important for us to obtain as much information as possible with regards to the details of the car/ bike and also the driver / rider and passengers. You do not have to disclose your details to the police if you are fearful of reprisals. It is best to contact the police as so. As the cars / bikes arrive so that the police have a better chance of apprehending those responsible. You can report it via the non- emergency number 101 or via report a crime.

Other things that get reported to us are Anti-social behaviour

Types of issues covered by the term anti-social behaviour are:

* Noise and rowdy behaviour - this doesn’t include children playing or DIY noise unless at an unreasonable time of day/night.
* Vandalism
* Graffiti, litter and fly tipping
* Noisy or intimidating dog
* Misuse of fireworks, fires being started
* Drug dealing, taking drugs or drinking alcohol in the street
* Harassment, intimidation or threatening behaviour
* Nuisance neighbours

Together with Kent Fire and Rescue Service, councils and other public and voluntary organisations, we use our powers to get to the root of the problems and take action.

Who do you contact?

While we are responsible for tackling some aspects of anti - social behaviour, your local council deals with:
- Noise (including loud music from parties, neighbours, alarms, animals).
- abandoned vehicles
- Graffiti
- fly tipping

All other issues

If a crime is in progress or in an emergency call 999. For non- urgent issues report a crime via 101 or on the report a crime, or Ashford Borough Council

PCSO Kate Richards
PCSO Luke Jones
Community Safety Unit | Ashford Police Station | East Division

Please do not use this email to report incidents. For a non-emergency please report online or contact 101 and in case of an emergency call 999
My Tenterden Business Directory - Promote your Business - Featured Website Listing Tenterden
Tenterden Events Diary Whats On
Spirit of Tenterden Festival - Music, Food, Drink Festival
Register for the My Tenterden newsletter
Register for the My Tenterden newsletter