The Tenterden & District Day Centre is now known as the Tenterden Social Hub! When the Centre was set up in 1980 it was just that – a day centre. In the intervening 37 years we have changed more than a little bit, and our name no longer accurately reflects what we do. Now, in 2017, we provide a range of services both within the building and out in the community, for many types and ages of people, and offer meeting spaces for a whole range of community groups.
The Social Hub provides a range of wellbeing services open to all (including chiropody, osteopathy, hearing aid clinics and meeting room facilities). Located within the Hub there will also be a range of distinct service offerings:
• Social Hub Sixty Plus will offer services for older adults and frail older people, such as day services (including transport), lunches, exercise classes and reminiscence; Social Hub Sixty Plus currently has around 100 members who attend the Centre for between one and five days per week. If you or a family member is interested in becoming a member, please call us on 01580 762882 to arrange to visit for a taster day.
• Social Hub Home Help - Home Help is a domestic agency within the Social Hub providing domestic help, care and support for the elderly and disabled to remain their own homes.
The main object is to encourage people to remain in their own homes for as long as they choose. Services provided include: General housework, Washing and ironing, Cooking, Shopping, Collecting prescriptions, Escorting to dentists, surgeries and hospitals. Our care workers are carefully selected for their caring attributes and are fully DBS checked.
• Social Hub Disability - a Day Opportunities service for adults with a disability. We are part of the Kent County Council provider framework for people with a disability and so you cam be assured that the service provided is of an excellent standard. The newly-refurbished and brightly decorated centre is open on weekdays from 9:30am to 3pm. The rooms are fully equipped for craft work, art, computing and other specialised activities; these include craft projects, handmade cards, glass painting, and jewellery. We focus on healthy living with our garden, exercise classes and healthy eating programmes. Outside pursuits include healthy walks, ten-pin bowling, theatre trips, pub lunches, shopping trips and visits to places of interest. An annual holiday is usually organised to a UK resort. Transport to and from the hub is available in our adapted minibuses with tail lift, thus we can accommodate wheelchair users (subject to available wheelchair spaces on the bus). It is hoped by providing our facilities with a holistic approach, we will enable people to develop their skills and encourage independence with confidence.
• Social Hub Meal Club will provide a meals-on-wheels service to Tenterden and the surrounding villages, plus community lunch clubs; A two-course freshly cooked hot meal, made using local produce and delivered directly to your door by our friendly drivers.
Meal Club, provided by Tenterden Social Hub, is a meals on wheels service delivering to Tenterden town, St. Michaels, Appledore, Bethersden, Biddenden, High Halden, Rolvenden, Stone, Wittersham and Woodchurch.
• Social Hub Information - Our information and advice service is a free, local and confidential facility for those times when you need support with some of the difficulties you might face as you get older and don’t know who to ask for help. We can help by providing support with form filling, applying for benefits and general advice and information on a range of topics including housing, debt management, and long term care.
• Social Hub Transport - We are currently working with Tenterden Town Council to establish a community transport service for Tenterden and the surrounding villages.
Drop in Lunches - We are open Monday to Friday for a delicious home-cooked two course lunch prepared fresh daily by our Chef. We use locally produced fresh ingredients where possible and can cater for a range of special dietary requirements including diabetic meals, gluten free and pureed foods.
The old branding will gradually disappear to be replaced by the new during the first part of 2018 and we expect the transition to be complete by the end of March.
Our registered charity name will, at present, remain unaffected; it is only the ‘trading as’ status that is changing.
Tenterden & District Day Centre
Registered Charity No. 1122971